New Castle News, August 3, 1948 Front Page
New Castle News, August 3, 1948 Page 2
On 23 July 1948, Roscoe Campbell Hutchinson was electrocuted while on the job at the National Tube company. He was 51 years old, leaving a wife, four children, two brothers, two sisters, and his mother Loretta Hutchinson.
A week after Roscoe’s unexpected death, Loretta Hutchinson stepped around a large commercial grass mower and was hit by a car driving 45 mph. She died instantly. It’s believed that Loretta was crying about the recent death of her son, that she never saw the car coming. Loretta’s sister, Ethel Gold, who witnessed the tragic event, developed many health problems as a result from the shock.
Loretta is buried with her sons Roscoe and Victor at the Locust Grove Cemetery in Ellwood City, PA.
(Relation: Loretta Alice Zillifro → Cametta Marie Hutchinson → Robert Lee Updegraff → Barbara Updegraff → Me)
William Hutchison – 3rd Great Grandfather (for family reference, this is Robert Lee Updegraff’s great grandfather)
- Missing 1900 census
- Unknown death date (estimate
- Unknown birth date (estimate 1821-1825)
- No actual sources for connection to parents (DNA has confirmed though)
Williams parents were Forgus Hutchison (1798-1860) and Jane Campbell (1800-1872).
William appears in the Census from 1850-1880 and is living with his wife and children. His birth years range from 1815-1825. There are multiple un-sourced ancestry.com trees that list a 1904 death date and the nickname “Fox Bill” or “William Fox,” but no one has any idea where it came from.
I couldn’t find William’s will at the Butler County office, but I did find his father’s *very long* one with lists of items for various people, but never mentioning specifically his son William. The 1900 Census would certainly provide more information, but I haven’t been able to find it.
William Hutchison married Ann Marie Jamison and had the following known children:
- Forgus M Hutchison 1846-1912, m. Eliza Fleming
- Mary Elvira Hutchison 1848-1915, m. John Elliott Snowden
- Thompson Jamison Hutchison 1851-1907, m. Alice Brady
- Margaret A Hutchison 1853-1920, m. — Thompson
- Amanda Jane Hutchison 1857-1916, m. Gilbert Ewing
- Alexander Campbell Hutchinson 1858-1940 (2nd great grandfather), m. Loretta Zillifro
- Euphemia E Hutchison 1860-1906, m. Edward M Dieter
- Rosetta Hutchison 1864-1910, m. Lincoln Saylor
- William Hutchison 1869-bef 1880
Alexander Campbell Hutchinson – 2nd Great Grandfather (for family reference, this is Robert Lee Updegraff’s grandfather)
Update February 2017: Alexander Campbell is less of a mystery thanks to finding his death certificate, obituary, and release of the 1940 census. Updated blog post: Alexander Campbell Hutchison.
*Originally published October 2011, updated February 2017